Re: [squid-users] question about filesystems and directories for cache.

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:36:34 -0900

Tony Dodd wrote:
> Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> I'm being reading the wiki and the mailing list to know, which is the
>> best filesystem to use, for now I have chose ext3 based on comments on
>> the list, also, I have passed the nodev,nosuid,noexec,noatime flags to
>> fstab in order to get a security and faster performance.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Hi Matias,
>
> I'd personally recommend against ext3, and point you towards reiserfs.
> ext3 is horribly slow for many small files being read/written at the
> same time. I'd also recommend maximizing your disk throughput, by
> splitting the raid, and having a cache-dir on each disk; though of
> course, you'll loose redundancy in the event of a disk failure.
>
> I wrote a howto that revolves around maximizing squid performance,
> take a look at it, you may find it helpful:
> http://blog.last.fm/2007/08/30/squid-optimization-guide

Hi Tony,

First of all, thanks for sharing the write-up. There are a number of
high-load squid installations (Wikipedia, and Flikr are two of the
largest I know of), but not much information on what tweaks to make in
the interest of performance.

After perusing your posting, I'm wondering if you would run a
"squidclient -p 80 mgr:info |grep method". I'm making the assumption
that your squid is listening on port 80, so please change the argument
to -p if needed. Your configuration options included "--enable-poll",
but with a 2.6 kernel and 2.6 sources, I would be surprised if you are
not actually using epoll. It might be a superfluous compile option.

Cache digests are not the only method of sharing between peers. ICP is
an alternative and I have read that multicast works well for scaling
beyond a handful of peers. I can't seem to find the posting now that I
want to reference it. I'd trust your experience over my memory of
someone else's posting, but I thought I would raise the possibility.

I'm surprised you had to specify your hosts file in your squid.conf.
/etc/hosts is the default.

Lastly, I'd be wary of specifying dns_nameservers as a squid.conf
option. Squid will use the servers specified in /etc/resolv.conf if
this option is not specified. Now you have to maintain name servers in
two locations.

Chris