Re: [squid-users] question about filesystems and directories for cache.

From: Tony Dodd <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:55:49 +0000

Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
> Hello,

<snip>

> I'm being reading the wiki and the mailing list to know, which is the
> best filesystem to use, for now I have chose ext3 based on comments on
> the list, also, I have passed the nodev,nosuid,noexec,noatime flags to
> fstab in order to get a security and faster performance.

<snip>

Hi Matias,

I'd personally recommend against ext3, and point you towards reiserfs.
ext3 is horribly slow for many small files being read/written at the
same time. I'd also recommend maximizing your disk throughput, by
splitting the raid, and having a cache-dir on each disk; though of
course, you'll loose redundancy in the event of a disk failure.

I wrote a howto that revolves around maximizing squid performance, take
a look at it, you may find it helpful:
http://blog.last.fm/2007/08/30/squid-optimization-guide

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator