Re: [squid-users] SQUID FORMAT

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:09:36 +1300

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
> ~
> I am in charge with a computer lab for a school. Connection to the
> Net is spotty (at best), because some other company if ofering it.
> Bandwidth is one of the issues, but they also created to a group
> account to access the Internet and that creates many other problems
> ~
> Now the problem is that teachers need the labs with access to some
> pages online for a certain period of time and it has happened many
> times that when they come to the lab they can not access the pages and
> links they need to

We have helped several other schools is your position this year.

The best option appears to be setting up a proxy on one machine which
provides a gateway for all the others to use.
That way you can secure all the Internet traffic through it and convince
the provider to let just that machine have access out.

If they have a gateway of login system as you seem to indicate (one
account for your school) then your gateway proxy can be setup to do the
login outwards and students/teachers only connect to squid for access
through it.

> ~
> I was thinking of:
> ~
> 1) Asking teachers what pages they need to access
> ~
> 2) getting these pages (including pictures, mp3 files, probably even
> youtube data feeds, etc) using a crawler/download manager, probably
> from my home to a local folder

Tricky, an no guarantee that it going to work any better.

> ~
> 3) using a descriptor file or some format squid understands for all
> downloaded files, and
> ~
> 4) transfer all the files to the box running squid as a transparent proxy server

No. The cache is a semi-independant fs that reside partially in memory.
There is no way to do that safely.

I think you misunderstand what squid does.
It provides a nice way for many people to use the same files from the
internet and less bandwidth while browsing.

Best bet taking the route you propose would be to setup an internal web
server outside of squid and put the file into it a website for the teachers.

Amos