Re: [squid-users] Powertop and Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:32:45 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007, Paul Magid wrote:
>
>> > Squid isn't optimised for low energy usage. :) Its got a timer which
>> fires
>> > every 20?ish milliseconds when using AUFS.
>> >
>> > Fixing this would require reengineering quite a bit of code.
>> > Sponsorship is welcome. :)
>
>> That is what I suspected. What is entailed in sponsoring the
>> reengineering. I am not sure I have the requisite skills.
>
> Money or time, really. I'd have to sit down and think about whats
> involved.

IIRC Alex came up with a temporary solution in 3.0 when we were last asked
about this (or another timer causing the same symptoms).
He did a bit of an exponential backoff on the timer each time it did
nothing, up to a max delay, and reset to fast when work was going through.
That just means finding somewhere to store the timer value safely, and
admin willingness to put up with the slow resume penalty.

Amos