Re: [squid-users] Squid Cache and Load Balancing...

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:38:22 +1300

Andy McCall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am looking at setting up two Linux-based caching servers for two
> WebMarshal servers for around 120 schools. The WebMarshal servers
> perform all the content checking and Squid will do all the caching.
>
> The two WebMarshal servers are using Windows load balancing so I would
> like to have a similar configuration for the Squid servers. I
> understand I can share the cache's between the two Squid servers and I

Where did you hear that?

If you setup each squid as a sibling peer they can pull data from each
other instead of the network.

> have read around Pen, L7SW, LVS and keepalived but its not clear to me
> which bits I need to do what in the setup.

keepalived should not be needed, squid has RunCache built-in that does
the same job since 2.6.

> Please can someone give me some pointers as to what I would need to get
> load balanced / HA Squid cache servers without buying a dedicated piece
> of load balancing hardware.

cache_peer and peering algorithms. carp, round-robin,
weighted-round-robin, etc.

You usually want the WebMarshal's setup as 'parents' of the squid so the
squid cache any denials they issue.

However if load-balancing the squid is not practical or bndwidth is not
a huge issue you could reverse that and have squid caching everything
requested and the webmarshal's assigned a squid each as their source.

That would mean the squid receive only traffic load their child
webmarshall sends out. No special explicit balancing needed for the
squid itself.

> Thanks in advance for any replies,
>
> Andy McCall

Amos
The information in this response is confidential and should be forgotten
by all recipients before it is read. If you cannot do his or have
received it in error, please stand on leg and sing your national anthem
immediately then delete it from your computer.

This note confirms that this email message has been sent through an
unspecified server on the Internet. However we advise that in keeping
with good IT practice the recipient should connect their PC to the
Internet so that communication is not delayed.

We cannot accept any responsibility for any embarassment or unsightly
noises caused by the wetware of your computer.