Re: [squid-users] wccp transparent proxy; returned spoofed packets are dropped!

From: Daniel Rose <drose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:41:36 +1100

Tony Dodd wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Didn't someone point out a few weeks ago that Cisco only support wccp
>> redirection on
>> the same interface as clients?
>>
>> the ASA is probably (quite rightly, its a firewall!) dropping the
>> packets coming in
>> from the DMZ as they're spoofed from another interface it knows about.
>>
>> You may be short of luck; you may have to put the proxy on INSIDE. See
>> if that works.
>> I'd offer better advice but I don't have an ASA to actually do testing
>> on..
>
> Actually, it depends on the firewall configuration mode... if it's in
> transparent mode, you're s.o.l, as the max number of interfaces == 3
> (including the management interface). If it's in routed mode, you stand
> a better chance, and can enable communication between the interfaces.
> The logging buffer will reveal all though.

Well it's in routed mode; I have 4 interfaces, but I left one out of the original post for clarity.

The logged event is "Deny TCP (No Connection) from spoofed-ip/80 to client-ip/2241 flags SYN ACK"

My problem now is that my cisco-fu is weak, and the ASDM GUI offers no option to permit spoofed ack packets; at least, I couldn't find one.

I posted the same question to a cisco 'self-study' group but the responses were not helpful.

I think I'll have to put the squid on the inside interface instead of the DMZ, which is a shame. If anyone does know how to persuade the cisco gear to allow the spoofed packets back through I'd be grateful; "allow ip any any" doesn't work. I will push google a bit harder before I give up though.

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia