Re: [squid-users] squid 2.7 vs 3.x

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:03:20 +0900

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> So does that mean that there will be no Squid-2.6.19?
> Will Squid-2.6.STABLE19 be Squid-2.7.STABLE1 ?

I'm not aware that the Squid volunteers have ever given a lifetime
for a Squid release. I think, given that its all volunteer work,
that what we've been supporting is pretty good. :)

-I- see Squid-2.7 as the logical migration path for Squid-2.6 users.
Fixes will be backported as appropriate but feature backporting will be done
as time permits. Squid-2.7 is a bit of a leap from Squid-2.6 but its only
a small leap; its not anywhere near a big a leap as Squid-3 is.

That said, the support company I'm setting up should be finalised in a week
or so; I'll then actually be offering support contracts on Squid versions.
If people pay for support contracts then their specific Squid release
versions (2.6, 2.7, 3.0, whatever) will have bugfixes backported as required.
If people pay for Squid-2.6 support and enough people are subscribed to it
then I'll quite happily keep 2.6 maintained if people are willing to pay. :)

Adrian