[squid-users] Squid 2.6 disk cache growth

From: David Seltzer <dseltzer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:50:42 -0500

I'm currently running Squid 2.6 as a reverse proxy server to ease the
load on my application web servers.

The problem that I'm running in to is that Squid keeps using up all
available hard-disk and then stops servicing requests.

My config looks like this:

---------------
http_port 80 accel defaultsite=app2.tveyes.com

cache_peer app1.tveyes.com parent 8080 0 no-query originserver
round-robin weight=1
cache_peer app2.tveyes.com parent 8080 0 no-query originserver
round-robin weight=1

visible_hostname app1.tveyes.com

cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 2048 16 256

cache_mem 512 MB

[snip]

cache_log none
cache_store_log none

emulate_httpd_log on
----------------

I'm not sure why squid should be taking any more than 2GB of disk space,
but every time I look at the cache when it has crashed, the swap.state
file is 25GB.

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, I've looked around
and not really found a satisfactory answer to why Squid is behaving this
way.

Thanks,

-Dave
David Seltzer