Re: [squid-users] squid 2.7 vs 3.x

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:58:41 -0700

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 10:34 +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> The majority of the Squid development over the last few years has been
> driven by specifically funded projects. This has the advantage of getting
> work done, but the disadvantage that stuff is really just pushed in
> to get the work specification done (and thus get paid) rather than
> what I believe should happen - wide-scale codebase improvements, restructuring
> and tidying up with a long-term goal of making it easier to do "stuff".
> We just seem unable to get funding for "making the codebase look better".

I disagree that a "specifically funded project" cannot make "wide-scale
codebase improvements, restructuring and tidying up with a long-term
goal of making it easier to do stuff".

In fact, I believe that a few "specifically funded" projects I have been
working on are making Squid3 code better for doing "stuff". I also see
other developers working in that direction, although I do not know their
business model so perhaps it is purely volunteer work.

Alex.