Re: [squid-users] Is is safe to use the reply_body_max_size on client side?

From: Neha Nahar <nehadnahar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:54:56 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks for the reply Amos!

So you are saying that it would still download
X-bytes, but firefox wont know that it is cut.
I guess that is fine as long as firefox doesn't hang
waiting for some termination signal.

Regards,
-Neha

--- Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> Neha Nahar wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I want to limit the size of a webpage downloaded
> by my
> > browser (Firefox) to 2MB.
> > I plan to use squid as the proxy.
> > Will setting up the reply_body_max_size to 2MB
> limit
> > it for me ?
> > I read the Squid documentation regarding
> > reply_body_max_size. It says that it wont work for
> > downstream caches. I am not sure what that means.
> > Is downstream cache from client to web server or
> from
> > web server to client.
>
> Client web browser is as far 'down' as the request
> chain gets. Original
> web server as far 'up'.
>
> A web page or file sent out without any information
> on length, which
> gets cut at X-bytes long instead of its actual
> length. A program reading
> those X-bytes without any way of knowing its cut
> will assume its
> complete. Using this option will cause such
> file-cutting to be done and
> *will* seriously screw up some content for caches
> acting as clients of
> yours.
>
> Regarding the 2MB limit, it applies to all bodies.
> That will affect any
> data files downloaded as well as HTML.
>

> Amos
> --
> Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+
> There are serious security advisories out on all
> earlier releases.

-Neha Nahar
  " Work for cause and not for applause, live to express and not to impress !"

      Now you can chat without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php