Re: [squid-users] Squid http1.1 vs http1.0 (probably again)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:18:06 +1300 (NZDT)

> So I've discovered that much of my connection stacking is due to Squid
> responding as 1.0 for everything, this has also caused some issues in
> my app.
>
> So before I abandon squid, since we must use gzip encoding and various
> other 1.1 specific features, I'm wondering if there is a way to
> capture and pass on the clients http version thru to my backend
> server..
>
> Since Squid is responding to the backend, regardless of the client
> query as 1.0, our servers can't do many of the nice 1.1 features that
> we would like to..
>
> So is there a way to capture and have squid rewrite the request so
> that my server knows the client made the request using http 1.1, so
> that it can respond in kind, regardless of how $#%$ squid is
> responding as 1.0 (sorry new issue that wasn't uncovered until today
> and it really sucks)..
>
> I've looked all over and the 1.1 vs 1.0 appears to be a decent battle
> inside the Squid developers "Or maybe all my reading is based on early
> conflicts and this has been resolved in a later version that i'm not
> running?!"

Depends on your squid release.
As a developer I have not seen any of this reported battle in the last
year. The current team are all either agnostic or working on HTTP/1.1 in
new code and some patching of old code. It's just the HTTP/1.1 checklist
of changes from 1.0 being so huge its taking a while to work through as a
side-job.

If you really need it for a business issue, we can do with some
sponsorship for the HTTP/1.1 project. That would kick the support you need
into a priority and get it fixed early.

Amos