[squid-users] Re: Strange issues with squid

From: Ryan Thoryk <ryant@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:09:48 -0600

We've made changes, and are still having issues - do you think using
squid3, changing our values, setting squid to run directly on port 80
(instead of ipfw redirecting 80 to 3128), or running Linux would solve
the problems (this is on FreeBSD 6.2)?

The main log messages we're getting are "httpReadReply: Excess data
from" and "httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent".

Here's our changes:
Kernel:
Removed the NET_WITH_GIANT option, since aio supposedly works fine
without it (this was turned on before)
Added DEVICE_POLLING, which uses the interface polling method instead of
standard interrupt routines for network interfaces

added these to /etc/sysctl.conf:
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460
net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize=27
net.inet.tcp.hostcache.expire=3900
kern.polling.burst_max=1000
kern.polling.idle_poll=0
kern.polling.each_burst=50

added these to /boot/loader.conf (for increasing the host cache table)
net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize="4096"
net.inet.tcp.hostcache.hashsize="1024"

the MTU for the GRE interfaces is set to 1514 in the rc.gre script
polling is turned on in /etc/rc.conf for the em0 interface

Ryan Thoryk
System Administrator
onShore Networks, LLC