Re: [squid-users] Re: Strange issues with squid

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:16:42 +0900

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008, Ryan Thoryk wrote:
> We've made changes, and are still having issues - do you think using
> squid3, changing our values, setting squid to run directly on port 80
> (instead of ipfw redirecting 80 to 3128), or running Linux would solve
> the problems (this is on FreeBSD 6.2)?

I doubt Squid-3 or changing port will matter, but you never know.
If you change just one at a time then compare then you'll figure it
out though!

> The main log messages we're getting are "httpReadReply: Excess data
> from" and "httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent".
>
> Here's our changes:
> Kernel:
> Removed the NET_WITH_GIANT option, since aio supposedly works fine
> without it (this was turned on before)
> Added DEVICE_POLLING, which uses the interface polling method instead of
> standard interrupt routines for network interfaces
>
> added these to /etc/sysctl.conf:
> net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
> net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460
> net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize=27
> net.inet.tcp.hostcache.expire=3900
> kern.polling.burst_max=1000
> kern.polling.idle_poll=0
> kern.polling.each_burst=50
>
> added these to /boot/loader.conf (for increasing the host cache table)
> net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize="4096"
> net.inet.tcp.hostcache.hashsize="1024"
>
> the MTU for the GRE interfaces is set to 1514 in the rc.gre script
> polling is turned on in /etc/rc.conf for the em0 interface

Thats not going to help; you only receive traffic via the GRE, you never
send it. Leave the MTU on the GRE interface as it is.

Are you sure you can't snaffle a tcpdump -s 1518 of the offending traffic?
Do you know if its a server -> squid or squid -> client issue?

Adrian