Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Cache - implementing gzip

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:40:34 -0800

On Jan 18, 2008 12:46 AM, Ash Damle <ash@2028.com> wrote:
> Hello. Any pointers how how to get Squid to do gzip compression and then e-tags when used as a reverse proxy cache.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Ash

Has to do with version HTTP1.1 vs gzip. But since Squid passes http1.0
version to your origin servers, they are going to respond in kind and
thus the origin is not going to gzip the content (if squid preserved
the 1.0 vs 1.1 version, the origin server could do what it wanted.
But believe that is the RFC compliance that squid seems to be hard
pressed to conform with.

How much would it cost to get Squid to preserve the http version so
that our servers could provide gzip functionality?

Tory