Re: [squid-users] mime-type based delay pools

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:41:06 +0900

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008, Amitava Bhattacharyya wrote:
> I followed this discussion: "[squid-users] Re: Re: Cache Streaming
> Video?" (http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200701/0154.html).
> Seems that making the maximum_object_size higher has an effect, so I
> have set it to 50 MB. Calamaris says youtube.com is getting a hit of
> 40%.
> But the problem is not just youtube. People do download 100 MB+ files.
> I want to test whether separating text/* mimetypes from the others and
> putting the other mimetypes on a separate, bandwidth limited stream
> would help.

I thought squid-3 had some "class 4 delay pool" stuff to make this a possibility
right now.

You can fake it though, with tcp_outgoing_tos based ACLs. You set the TOS
(or select another IP!) for certain mime types, and then rate limit that
IP address.

(I've done the latter quite successfully. ;)

Adrian