Re: [squid-users] Hardware sizing

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:49:58 -0700

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 19:25 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:

> Our current proprietory webcaches push about 100Mbps and are due for
> replacement, so we're looking at Squid. Assuming Lintel platform, what
> spec of hardware would provide, say 2-3 times that performance? We run
> LDAP authentication, complex ACLs and SmartFilter.

Do you want your Squid to do disk caching? If yes, I do not know the
answer, but others will hopefully pitch in.

If you do not need disk caching, you should be able to do 100 Mbits/sec
or more with Squid before LDAP, ACLs, and SmartFilter are taken into
account. A reasonably configured Dual Core 3+MHz PC should be able to do
that. I cannot estimate the effect of authentication, access controls,
and SmartFilter in general, but one can always benchmark a specific
configuration to discover its limits.

Needless to say that if Squid does not meet your performance objectives,
it is possible to optimize it so that it does (as long as there is
another cache that performs at the desired level). The required
development would depend on your specific situation, and may not be
trivial, of course.

HTH,

Alex.