[squid-users] Vary the cache objects based on the incoming http version, or buckets for different browsers

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:35:02 -0800

Okay

So still working thru some http 1.1 issues as we keep finding more
"well that won't work"..

Due to various "bugs" in IE 4-6 we have to return 1.1 or they get a
script error (it's a .js file).
"tested both on ie7 and ie6 and in both cases with 1.1 enabled the
page is fine. Once 1.1 is disabled, the tell-tale script error
appears."

Since with our 1.0 vs 1.1 script change, squid is caching a version of
the file that is gzipped, so if a 1.0 client asks, squid says oh ya, I
have it, here you go (umm it's compressed and thus the end user
receives an error.)

Is there a way to have Squid vary the cache objects based on the
incoming client HTTP protocol version? So that I can store 2 copies of
any given file, one compressed and one not, and make sure Squid hands
out the right version? Ideally, we need different buckets, per
browser version would be awesome, based on how often broken software
is released.

It appears windows version 4-6 on XP (we think) has a bug where it
unchecks the use http/1.1 box magically, not an end user selection but
a defacto config from MS.. In fact we see some from IE 7 (not sure the
standard user would go in and uncheck that for any real reason (I
guess unless their IT department has a fubar proxy that requires it
<shrugs>)

Ideas? Yes 2.7, but trying to get an idea how stable folks think it
is, as it's been noted it has more http/1.1 functionality.

Thanks
Tory