Re: [squid-users] Vary the cache objects based on the incoming http version, or buckets for different browsers

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:14:49 -0900

Tory M Blue wrote:
> Okay
>
> So still working thru some http 1.1 issues as we keep finding more
> "well that won't work"..
>
> Due to various "bugs" in IE 4-6 we have to return 1.1 or they get a
> script error (it's a .js file).
> "tested both on ie7 and ie6 and in both cases with 1.1 enabled the
> page is fine. Once 1.1 is disabled, the tell-tale script error
> appears."
>
> Since with our 1.0 vs 1.1 script change, squid is caching a version of
> the file that is gzipped, so if a 1.0 client asks, squid says oh ya, I
> have it, here you go (umm it's compressed and thus the end user
> receives an error.)

Look into the HTTP header "Vary"
(http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.44). Vary
either on Accept-Encoding or User-Agent, preferably the former. See
(the really old message at)
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200208/0202.html for more.

> Is there a way to have Squid vary the cache objects based on the
> incoming client HTTP protocol version? So that I can store 2 copies of
> any given file, one compressed and one not, and make sure Squid hands
> out the right version? Ideally, we need different buckets, per
> browser version would be awesome, based on how often broken software
> is released.
>
> It appears windows version 4-6 on XP (we think) has a bug where it
> unchecks the use http/1.1 box magically, not an end user selection but
> a defacto config from MS.. In fact we see some from IE 7 (not sure the
> standard user would go in and uncheck that for any real reason (I
> guess unless their IT department has a fubar proxy that requires it
> <shrugs>)
>
> Ideas? Yes 2.7, but trying to get an idea how stable folks think it
> is, as it's been noted it has more http/1.1 functionality.

2.6 should work fine, if the origin server is cooperating.

> Thanks
> Tory

Chris