Re: [squid-users] Mem Cache flush

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:50:57 -0500

This does bring an interesting question - is it possible to give squid
*too much* memory?

My theoretical setup would be an uber-box (32GB RAM, multi-TB of disk)
running 64-bit squid and with mem_cache set to something in the
25-30GB range (as high as we can without swap risk), with a
maximum_object_size_in_memory in the multiple MB; we want to
effectively cache as much as possible in memory as opposed to disk.
Squid and associated utilities will be the only thing running on the
box.

Does this make sense, or is a more balanced approach re: squid
cache_mem vs. kernel page cache allocation going to provide better
performance?

-C