Re: [squid-users] Mem Cache flush

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:00:25 +0900

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> This does bring an interesting question - is it possible to give squid
> *too much* memory?
>
> My theoretical setup would be an uber-box (32GB RAM, multi-TB of disk)
> running 64-bit squid and with mem_cache set to something in the
> 25-30GB range (as high as we can without swap risk), with a
> maximum_object_size_in_memory in the multiple MB; we want to
> effectively cache as much as possible in memory as opposed to disk.
> Squid and associated utilities will be the only thing running on the
> box.
>
> Does this make sense, or is a more balanced approach re: squid
> cache_mem vs. kernel page cache allocation going to provide better
> performance?

Squid's great at keeping small objects in memory, but not large objects.
Its been a known problem for a while. I've got a dotpoint to fix it in
Squid-2.X; 3.x has a different memory object cache organisation which
will need to be revisited once I've got some more experience with memory
caching in 2.x.

Adrian