[squid-users] Upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0

From: Sherwood Botsford <sbotsford@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:14:10 -0700

It's not clear from the various places I've groveled how to make
the transition from 2.5 to 3.0 for transparent proxying.

I compiled squid on OpenBSD 3.9 with the flag --enable-pf-transparent

Pf is set to redirect web calls to local host.
The first thing I tried
http_ports 127.0.0.1:3128 transparent

This by itself gives me an error message:
Unable to forward this request at this time.
This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to
any parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:
The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
connections to origin servers, and
All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.

Ok. So let's stumble through the other network options.

So I added:

always_direct allow all

This works, but I don't understand why this is not the default.
I expect that the largest number of squid installations are for a
single proxy server by itself for a single machine or small
network. Because I don't understand this, I suspect that I'm wrong.

Should I have:
prefer_direct on

(I tried this before trying always_direct. By itself it's not
sufficient.)

Anyone have a pointer to a web page making the transition between
2.5 and 3.0?