[squid-users] cache peer proxy-only - is there a middle ground?

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:42:48 -0500

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue where we'd like to implement cache peering on our
squid farms, primarily to leverage the combined disk capacity across
all our boxes into a larger cache. I would presume that this requires
the use of the proxy-only directive to avoid content duplication.
However, this has raised the issue of server overload - there's a very
real possibility that a single hot object, if it only lives on a
single server, could overload that server with requests from all the
other peers in the event of a flash crowd. I'd like to find some
middle ground.

I'm wondering if there's a way to configure squid such that content
retrieved from peers is cached locally, but for a much shorter period
of time than content the cache retrieves directly. Is this possible
within squid, or should this be a feature request?

-C