Re: [squid-users] cache peer proxy-only - is there a middle ground?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:57:41 +1300

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing an issue where we'd like to implement cache peering on our
> squid farms, primarily to leverage the combined disk capacity across all
> our boxes into a larger cache. I would presume that this requires the
> use of the proxy-only directive to avoid content duplication. However,
> this has raised the issue of server overload - there's a very real
> possibility that a single hot object, if it only lives on a single
> server, could overload that server with requests from all the other
> peers in the event of a flash crowd. I'd like to find some middle ground.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to configure squid such that content
> retrieved from peers is cached locally, but for a much shorter period of
> time than content the cache retrieves directly. Is this possible within
> squid, or should this be a feature request?

Squid contains a few methods for reduction of ICP requests. Primarily
the use of Cache Digests and to a lesser degree multicast-ICP.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CacheDigests

I think you possibly may be able to hack some ACLs that prevent disk
storage but leave items in the hot-memory cache. Though I have never
looked at that myself.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+