Re: [squid-users] Trouble downloading large files with Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:23:45 +1300

mista_eng wrote:
> Hi guys, just a quick bit on me: I am still a *nix newbie but am trying to
> learn the ropes. Since my home server machine only has 1GB of RAM, I use
> small distributions and have gotten used to doing things on the command line
> only. My dd-wrt router is set to forward http requests to the VM's proxy
> ports for transparent proxying. Here's the situation with Squid:
>
> My original VM was a downloaded appliance with a stripped down Debian +
> Squid + Dansguardian + adzapper. I had trouble downloading large files; for
> example, a file from microsoft.com 1GB in size would stop at around 500MB.
> This was a problem that was consistently reproduced, though with ~10%
> variability in filesize, on different Windows Vista/2003 client machines in
> both FireFox and IE7.0.

Check your squid configuration file for:
        reply_body_max_size

It's likely you or an upstream squid cache has this set to around 500 MB.

If you can't see that in any of your squid configs. Then check the
actual headers being sent/received during those dying file requests.

> I created a VM with 128MB RAM and 3GB of hard drive space based on Ubuntu
> JeOS and installed the following at first: TinyProxy and Dansguardian. I
> don't think I made any other changes to the dansguardian.conf other than
> commenting one of the initial lines that would allow it to work. Large
> files, like the one I originally had a problem with, downloaded fine. (I
> realize that TinyProxy is different from Squid in that it does not cache.)
>
> I was hoping adzapper would work with tinyproxy but there was no such luck.
> I did "sudo apt-get remove --purge tinyproxy" and then a "sudo apt-get
> install squid." The Squid installation went without error messages and I
> believe I made only the following change to squid.conf: "http_port 3128
> transparent". The rest of the configuration file was left at default.
> Adzapper was installed with "sudo apt-get install adzapper".
>
> It appears to be working correctly for regular web browsing, but when I try
> to download large files (this time I tried a 2GB file from microsoft.com),
> the download incompletes. This brings me back to square one and is very
> frustrating. I doubt that it is caused by either dansguardian or adzapper.
> TinyProxy was great, but caching and adzapping is very convenient; I'd hate
> to see them go.
>
> "sudo less /var/log/squid/access.log | grep install.wim" shows only the
> requests made to GET the large file. That seems to be correct, though I'm
> not sure if there would be anything remarked by squid when the download
> fails/stops.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix?

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+