Re: [squid-users] Trouble downloading large files with Squid

From: mista_eng <mista_eng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:14:57 -0800 (PST)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:

> mista_eng wrote:
>> My original VM was a downloaded appliance with a stripped down Debian +
>> Squid + Dansguardian + adzapper. I had trouble downloading large files;
>> for
>> example, a file from microsoft.com 1GB in size would stop at around
>> 500MB.
>> This was a problem that was consistently reproduced, though with ~10%
>> variability in filesize, on different Windows Vista/2003 client machines
>> in
>> both FireFox and IE7.0.
>
> Check your squid configuration file for:
> reply_body_max_size
>
> It's likely you or an upstream squid cache has this set to around 500 MB.
>
> If you can't see that in any of your squid configs. Then check the
> actual headers being sent/received during those dying file requests.

Hello Amos,

There is only one Squid cache server and its squid.conf has set the
repl_body_max_size to 0 (no limit). Except for the "http_port 3128
transparent", no other settings have been changed from the default.

How can I see the actual headers being sent/received during the dying file
request? I have already performed a "less /var/log/squid/access.log | grep
install.wim" and the only entries listed were two or three http GET lines.
There was no indication of early download failure, unless I have been
looking for the wrong signs.

Here is a link to one of the files in question in case anyone wants to test
their squid:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/01/60316070-3318705--NOA/msvista/pub/Vista_WIM/i386/install.wim

It is a 2.24GB Vista image provided by Digital River, a Microsoft
Marketplace partner. I have tried other large files with similar failures;
none have downloaded successfully so far.