Re: [squid-users] Digest Authentication in Squid through LDAP in Windows 2003 DC

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:26:19 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi,
>
> Please, I need some help about Digest Authentication.
> We made a new server in our enterprise, using "Fedora 7" (64 bits).
> We have Squid 3, installed, and we need to authenticate our users in one
> of
> the DC's (Windows 2003 Server DC).
> The problem:
> We started configuring Squid with basic authentication; it worked fine,
> but
> we got the user's password through "Ethereal Software". This is a problem
> here, because we have a lot of students and teachers that we need to
> guarantee security to them and against them.
> So we tried "digest authentication", and our problem started. Our tests
> failed, and we didn't find any documentation about how to implement
> "digest_ldap_auth" to check the username and password.
> We don't know if our idea about digest authentication is right or wrong.
> We
> imagine that we can simply authenticate in "Windows 2003 Server DC" (as
> basic authentication does), without store the user's passord into the
> Linux
> Server. Is that possible? If yes, where can I find instructions about how
> use it?
> If you can help us about this, and even if our idea about digest
> authentication between Squid and Windows 2003 Server is wrong, it would be
> very nice.
> I would like to thank you for your time, and sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> Regards,

There is a help how-to in the wiki
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Using_the_digest_LDAP_authetication_helper

There are also some other auth mechanisms that may beuseful to you:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/NegotiateAuthentication

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/WindowsAuthenticationNTLM

Amos