Re: [squid-users] TCP_HIT and TCP_MEM_HIT

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:15:21 -0800

Before you go and say "wow, I want more MEM_HIT, increase mem_cache!",
remember that if you have a decent amount of spare memory, the kernel
will use that as page cache, so it's a good change that frequenty-
requested items will, in fact, be served from RAM (via the page cache)
even if it's not squid's RAM. There's also a design bottleneck in
squid that limits cpu efficiency of large mem_cache objects (larger
than a MB or so), so resist the urge to give squid all your available
memory. Let mem_cache handle your small objects and the kernel handle
the larger ones.

-C