Re: [squid-users] YAHOO:MSN:GOOGLE

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:27:56 +1300

Tarak Ranjan wrote:
> hi list,
> i have one squid server which is running on FC6 , im
> using SQUID
> 2.6.STABLE16. that is running fine, not any issue with
> that, Now i want
> to make SQUID some effective.
> I want my squid proxy should detect
>
> 1) which file users are downloading or uploading
> 2) using Chat [yahoo, msn, google],

IFF client software configured to use HTTP-Proxy protocol.

> which file users
> are sending or
> receiving ,

_possibly_ depending on how client software does it. usually not.

> which chat room they are entering ,

No can do, even if client could go through server.
The chat-rooms are IM-protocol data, not HTTP-protocol data.

> time
> duration of login
> in messenger .

IFF the client software uses HTTP-Proxy CONNECT methods this can be
measured from squid transfer-duration records.

side note:
  I have found this to be just under 100% of the time a user has PC
turned on and plugged into the net. Not useful to detect messenger
usage, its _always_ running connected in the background.

> All these i want to track using Squid, has anyone
> implement those
> stuff . Any help will be really appreciate. or any
> Link

Step 1) Configure each client IM to use HTTP-Proxy protocol features.

NP: Windows or MSN messengers, also block the IM protocol ports. IM
will failover to using port-80 then an IE-configured proxy.

Step 2) check squid access.log

Thats ALL you can do in squid.

If you are extremely lucky the client software will do some file up/down
actions as proper HTTP and you maybe can pass them through an external
filter.

Squid is an HTTP-proxy. Its simply not written or capable yet as a
random-internet-traffic monitor.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+