Re: [squid-users] YAHOO:MSN:GOOGLE

From: Tarak Ranjan <contacttrm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:11:40 +0000 (GMT)

--- Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> Tarak Ranjan wrote:
> > hi list,
> > i have one squid server which is running on FC6 ,
> im
> > using SQUID
> > 2.6.STABLE16. that is running fine, not any issue
> with
> > that, Now i want
> > to make SQUID some effective.
> > I want my squid proxy should detect
> >
> > 1) which file users are downloading or uploading
> > 2) using Chat [yahoo, msn, google],
>
> IFF client software configured to use HTTP-Proxy
> protocol.
>
> > which file users
> > are sending or
> > receiving ,
>
> _possibly_ depending on how client software does it.
> usually not.
>
> > which chat room they are entering ,
>
> No can do, even if client could go through server.
> The chat-rooms are IM-protocol data, not
> HTTP-protocol data.
>
> > time
> > duration of login
> > in messenger .
>
> IFF the client software uses HTTP-Proxy CONNECT
> methods this can be
> measured from squid transfer-duration records.
>
> side note:
> I have found this to be just under 100% of the
> time a user has PC
> turned on and plugged into the net. Not useful to
> detect messenger
> usage, its _always_ running connected in the
> background.
>

> > All these i want to track using Squid, has anyone
> > implement those
> > stuff . Any help will be really appreciate. or any
> > Link
> >

> Step 1) Configure each client IM to use HTTP-Proxy
> protocol features.
>
> NP: Windows or MSN messengers, also block the IM
> protocol ports. IM
> will failover to using port-80 then an IE-configured
> proxy.
>
> Step 2) check squid access.log
>
> Thats ALL you can do in squid.
>
> If you are extremely lucky the client software will
> do some file up/down
> actions as proper HTTP and you maybe can pass them
> through an external
> filter.
>
> Squid is an HTTP-proxy. Its simply not written or
> capable yet as a
> random-internet-traffic monitor.
>
> Amos

Force fully if i want to connect all the messenger
using http proxy,
from the server side, means nothing to change in
client . will it
possible

bypass all messenger traffic through SQUID , will it
possible ?

Tarak

      Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/