[squid-users] cannot auth win 2003 users with squid ldap_auth

From: Sheldon Carvalho <sheldon.sc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:55:56 -0800

Hi, I was trying to setup squid on fc7. Version 2.6.STABLE16. I have a
domain setup in win 2003 server with about 20 users (abcgroup.local),
the IP address of the domain controller being 192.168.10.3. I have a
group(abcgroup), which has 3 companys.(Cmp1, Cmp2, Cmp3) Now, I am
setting all this up assuming I could use the squid_ldap_auth param to
query the domain to authenticate the user without installing a ldap
server on the DC. I tried to research on openLdap but I am not sure if
I sould be using it on the win server.

I am pretty new to using server 2003 and using squid for the first
time. I'm not quite sure if the domain controller should have ldap
setup by default OR if I will have to install it (openLdap) to get the
squid proxy to authenticate the user. (I am trying a transparent auth
so that I could view the logs in SARG such that I know which user
logged in and accessed which web site)

This is the authentication part of squid.conf.

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_auth -R -b
"dc=abcgroup,dc=local" -D
"cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=abcgroup,dc=local" -w "password" -f
sAMAccountName=%s -h 192.168.10.3
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Vanderpolgroup.local
auth_param basic credentialsttl 5 minutes

I tried to use the squid_ldap_auth as a terminal command but it gave
me an output. ERR everytime I hit the return key. Which is why, I am
assuming that I cannot access the domain controller OR its not sending a query.
I also tried using the ldap browser which does not display the entire
tree that I have setup on
the DC.

I don't know if this information is enough. But if anyone can help me
out it will be great. I am doing this as part of a school project.

Thanks
Sheldon