Re: [squid-users] Grouping the delay_pool access

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:30:39 +1300

Yong Bong Fong wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I have a 512kb ADSL link. I tried to implement delay_pools on my
> users but apparently after i apply the configuration, even the general
> surfing seems to get significant slow down. I thought the delay_pools
> should only affect their downloading speed, but seems like general
> surfing gets affected. My configuration is as follow:
>
> delay_pools 2 #setup two delay pools
> delay_class 1 2 #delay pool 1 is a class 2
> delay_class 2 3 #delay pool 2 is a class 3
> delay_parameters 1 64000/64000 16000/32000
> delay_parameters 2 64000/64000 50000/50000 45000/45000
> delay_access 1 allow all
> delay_access 2 allow all
>
> I tried not to provide the entire 512kb link to squid because the link
> is also used by our email service. So if not mistaken, i should adjust
> the aggreggate allocation from 64000 to something lower?

64000 _BYTES_ in squid remember. Is that 512k BYTES or BITS on the line?

> And my problem now is, what configuration is affecting my general
> surfing speed....

They both are. Pool #1 is cutting it down to just under 16KBps up + down
per IP. Pool #2 is limiting it to just under 50KB up+down per /24 network.

Email should not be more critical than we browsing. Email delays of
hours are rarely noticed by the users whereas a 15sec delay in page load
gets web a bad rating.

> The other issue is, i want some director to be unrestricted from
> delay_pools restriction, do i just create a group and set up a delay
> class 1 allocating the full ADSL bandwith for them as follow:
> delay_class 3 1 #delay pool 2 be a class 1 delay pool
> delay_parameters 3 64000/64000
> delay_access 3 allow directors_group
> delay_access 3 deny all

No should just be able to set

delay_access 1 deny directors_group
delay_access 2 deny directors_group

> Hopefully can help me with this, thanks for taking time reading my
> question!
>
> regards
> Yong

See my reply to J.Peng a day or so ago about delay_pools for more
detailed info.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+