[squid-users] Grouping the delay_pool access

From: Yong Bong Fong <bfyong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:50:06 +0800

Dear friends,

    I have a 512kb ADSL link. I tried to implement delay_pools on my
users but apparently after i apply the configuration, even the general
surfing seems to get significant slow down. I thought the delay_pools
should only affect their downloading speed, but seems like general
surfing gets affected. My configuration is as follow:

delay_pools 2 #setup two delay pools
delay_class 1 2 #delay pool 1 is a class 2
delay_class 2 3 #delay pool 2 is a class 3
delay_parameters 1 64000/64000 16000/32000
delay_parameters 2 64000/64000 50000/50000 45000/45000
delay_access 1 allow all
delay_access 2 allow all

I tried not to provide the entire 512kb link to squid because the link
is also used by our email service. So if not mistaken, i should adjust
the aggreggate allocation from 64000 to something lower?
And my problem now is, what configuration is affecting my general
surfing speed....

    The other issue is, i want some director to be unrestricted from
delay_pools restriction, do i just create a group and set up a delay
class 1 allocating the full ADSL bandwith for them as follow:
delay_class 3 1 #delay pool 2 be a class 1 delay pool
delay_parameters 3 64000/64000
delay_access 3 allow directors_group
delay_access 3 deny all

Hopefully can help me with this, thanks for taking time reading my question!

regards
Yong