Re: [squid-users] Logging users

From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:29:53 -0500

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenBSD 3.what?

I am sorry, I thought I said 3.5.

> Did you inherit this box from someone? Are you a newbie trying to choose
> an OS but also biting too much in the process?;-)

No, not at all. I am a Windows C/C++/C# programmer. I have been
playing around with Linux and the BSD's now since about '94. I have
not done much in the last few years other then run this firewall at
home. I set this OpenBSD firewall up with squid-cache a few years ago
and it has been running very nicely every since. I think it was last
year I upgraded the squid-cache to 2.6s10.

> Anyway, give us more details about your network setup - the Squid box
> and the others on the network.

The network consists of 2 workstations and a file server, plus the
OpenBSD firewall. At one point I was running squidGuard to block bad
content and the other day my wife asked me about that and about where
our kids where going on the web. This is when I went to the firewall
and realized that I was not logging user info in the squid-cache log.

Someone else suggested Dansguard and I will be looking into that, but
I am still curious about how to log who as well as where, with out
forcing folks to log into the proxy server, for the server is
transparent right now.

Sam