Re: [squid-users] problem with wccp v2 and cisco

From: Daniel Rose <drose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:14:13 +1100

Ritter, Nicholas wrote:

> Regarding the gre tunnel, does the IP address on the the gre0 interface
> have to be unique, or can it be the same address, or a dot1q trunked
> address? I was hoping to use one physical network interface to do the
> GRE tunnel and the squid daemon. This would require subinterfaces and
> dot1q trunking/vlan tagging on both the router and the squid box if I am
> to use unique IP addresses, much less IP addresses on different IP
> subnets.
>
> Nick

My ip address on the GRE is the same as the host address.

I create it like this:

/sbin/iptunnel add wccp0 mode gre remote $CISCO_IP local $HOST_IP dev eth0
/sbin/ifconfig wccp0 $HOST_IP netmask 255.255.255.255 up

It works perfectly. However, they say that you should know it will work because it is right, not assume it is right because it works!

Anyway, I hope it's right.

--
Daniel Rose
National Library of Australia