[squid-users] CARP and Multicast...

From: Andy McCall <Andy.McCall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:47:26 -0000

Hi Folks,

I posted to this list a few weeks ago, and have had time to get around to reading more of the squid manuals

I have two identical Ubuntu Linux 6.06.2 LTS based Squid servers caching for two Web Marshal server front ends. The Web Marshal servers are load balanced using Windows Network Load Balancing (NLB) which gives redundancy and load balancing for the clients. I would now like to add some sort of redundancy and load balancing between the squid caches and would like to share the cache between the two servers.

I think I want to set up my Squid's in a multicast group and then load balance between them using CARP. The two Squid's should be sibling-peers of each other.

For example,

cache_peer 224.9.9.9 multicast 3128 3130 ttl=64

# proxy icp
#hostname type port port options
#-------------------- -------- ----- ----- -----------

cache_peer scache1 sibling 3128 3130 multicast-responder carp-load-factor=0.5
cache_peer scache2 sibling 3128 3130 multicast-responder carp-load-factor=0.5

Can anyone tell me if I am going in completely the wrong direction, or am I close to getting a redundant two-server setup with load balancing and shared caches?

Andy McCall
Senior Technical Officer

--
ICT & Printing, The Unity Partnership...
...working with Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council
Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham
OL1 1UU