Re: [squid-users] proxy server chained to another proxy server

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:05:33 -0800

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Your cache_peer config REQUIRES squid to lookup the IP of the peer on
> startup. If that fails it ignores the peer for sanity, and dies.
>
> Place the IP of the peer directly into your squid.conf.

You were right, but not for the obvious reason.

The peer is a multi-homed host. To avoid the DNS lookups, I had copied
the four entries for the peer into my /etc/hosts file many years ago.
Unfortunately, either some of the addresses had changed, or I copied them
wrong. Two of the addresses were correct, but two of them that I had
listed as 129.149.x.x were really 129.146.x.x. I can't tell you how many
times I looked at the list and didn't see the difference.

The two correct addresses seemed to be good enough for the Netscape proxy
server to figure out, but it looks like squid was picking a random address
and getting one of the bad ones, and it stopped there.

Anyway, correcting the addresses caused everything to work!

In summary, here's the changes I made to the default config file:

# diff etc/squid.conf.default etc/squid.conf
589a590
> acl localnet src 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
633a635
> http_access allow localnet
939c941
< http_port 3128

---
 > http_port 8180
1500a1503
 > cache_peer webcache.sfbay.sun.com parent 8080 7 no-query
2974a2978
 > cache_mgr     shannon
3017a3022
 > cache_effective_group nobody
3033a3039
 > visible_hostname      nissan.home.sfbay.sun.com
4071a4078
 > never_direct allow all
4184a4192,4193
 > # copied from /etc/resolv.conf...
 > dns_nameservers 129.146.11.51 129.145.155.226 129.147.62.34
4219a4229
 > dns_testnames localhost
Thanks for your help!