Re: [squid-users] centralized storage for squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:05:32 +1300 (NZDT)

> Dear all
>
> At this moment, I have several squid servers for http
> caching. Many duplicated objects have been found in
> different servers. I would minimize to data storage
> by installing a large centralized storage and the
> squid servers mount to the storage as data disk.
>
> Have anyone tried this before?

Yes some have tried before. They met a major problem:

  No current release of squid can share its disk-cache with any external
application (including other squid).

You can link a SAN-type share and allocate a space for each squid to
read/write as its cache_dir. But that does not solve the
object-duplication. And I believe some SAN have RAID backup? that may
cause problems by itself.

Duplication can be prevented or at least reduced by balancing the squid as
sibling peers with proxy-only option, and preferring sibling-fetch over
direct-fetch.

Amos