Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:24:14 -0500

On Thursday 06 March 2008 11:05:24 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Well, the way I'd approach it is to first get an idea of how to throw
> things into 'threads', and probably draft and craft a basic event loop
> and submission queue for "stuff" to happen across threads.
>
> Then "Squid" can run as one thread, and CPU intensive stuff can happen
> via message queues to other threads.

The most CPU-intensive part of Squid is sometimes not Squid at all but
redirectors (corporate standards filters, anti-virus, etc.).

I use Cameron Simpson's AdZapper. a URL rewriter that does just what its
name suggests. The combined CPU use of the rewriters (12 instances
defined, 8 in typical simultaneous use) is usually 3 - 4 times that of
the Squid daemon itself.

In situations like this I image that there would be significant overall
improvement of proxy performance just in having Squid and it's child
processes run on different CPUs.