[squid-users] LiveCD type install for transparent caching of YouTube, etc?

From: Paul Bryson <Atamido@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:07:50 -0600

I have been looking for some sort of easy to install Squid transparent
caching proxy. Something like KnoppMyth (http://mysettopbox.tv/) but
just for Squid. Boot to a CD that has you partition/format your
harddrives, installs the OS plus Squid with sane default settings. If
there is a web interface, all the better.

I'm a big fan of the KnoppMyth design where all of the settings are
backed up on a "data" partition. Upgrading requires installing from a
CD which formats over the OS + programs partition and restores the
backed up settings and data.

There are some much bigger packages that include Squid, like SmoothWall
and IPCop, but these include tons of other firewall and filtering
services that I don't need or want. They also don't offer much in the
way of options for the proxy.

And as we want to be able to cache YouTube, Google Maps, Google Earth,
Windows Updates, etc, we need the rewrite rules in the 2.7 branch of
Squid. We were thinking of using a good sized hard disk for cache
storage, to reduce the internet bandwidth hit as much as possible.

Is there any such type of beast, or a quick path to such a thing?

Atamido