Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:41:47 +0900

If anything, I hope that this particular discussion realigns the Squid-3
developers with the sorts of things the community wants.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Some of us do. At least 5% of the net and growing. When 3.x rolls out
> the capability fully you can expect a small jump in www traffic over v6
> without any user-visible changes.

Which isn't a big deal for reverse proxy setups - they'll be running
v6 facing clients to v4 facing servers for quite a while. Thats a lot
easier to implement then fully v6<->v4 gatewaying support, which is what
you're debugging in -3.

> >As Mark said, multicore would be quite awesome,
>
> Truely. Care to sponsor any of the cleanups being done to -3 for this to
> happen?

[snip]

And if it doesn't happen, are the Squid-3 developers willing to put in the time
and effort to actually make these things happen, or is it going to sit for another
couple of years waiting for sponsors or developers who want to scratch that itch?

One of the things that Robert made a point of is that developers will scratch
their own itch, and we can't "force" developers to do otherwise. Thats fine,
but as a -project- we need to think far past the "personal itch" point and look
at what work needs to be done to benefit everyone, not just what we find
personally interesting or relevant.

I still get the feeling that the whole Squid-3 direction seems to be what
is specifically relevant to individual developers and not what will keep
the project alive and (re-)engage the developers. This only became an issue
because somehow (again) I stirred trouble.

The whole point behind Xenion trying to get Squid support contracts is to get
some resources to -do- the things which need doing that aren't being done.
I'm almost at the point where I can begin throwing someone at some of the Squid-2
draft roadmap - some being requested by clients, some being "future-proofing".

I'm not sure why my Squid-2 plans upset the rest of the Squid developers so much -
is it because I'm not playing ball with the bulk of the active core Squid
developers or something else?

Adrian