[squid-users] Re: hope squid provide development API

From: Paul Bryson <Atamido@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:55:26 -0600

J. Peng wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008, J. Peng wrote:
>> > I use Apache's development API often (both C's and modperl's), they
>> > are very convenient to customize the special features.
>> > I hope squid also provide this feature in future, that will be helpful
>> > to us.Thanks.
>>
>> .. which development API?
>>

> like, rewrite the uri based on the request headers.

mod_rewrite? The same mod_rewrite whose documentation starts off with
these two very telling quotes?

     ``The great thing about mod_rewrite is it gives you all the
configurability and flexibility of Sendmail. The downside to mod_rewrite
is that it gives you all the configurability and flexibility of Sendmail.''

     -- Brian Behlendorf
     Apache Group

     `` Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo.
Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo.''

     -- Brian Moore
     bem@news.cmc.net

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/

Yes, Squid certainly needs some URL rewriting, and Adrian has done some
great work in this area. But I guessing the last thing they need is to
imitate a module that even it's developers don't understand well.

Atamido
  - who was impressed when Apache httpd devs were able to get a few
lines of mod_rewrite settings to work for him after they spent a few
days brainstorming.