Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:28:28 -0600

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 10:57 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> It might be good to have a *little* more process around how ones
> sponsors changes in Squid -- whether -2 or -3 -- to assure that
> there's coordination between the feature sets, and that the entire
> Squid developer community is bought into the changes.

I agree. At London meeting, we made progress redesigning Squid support
infrastructure and there should be positive changes in that area soon.

As for coordination of the development, this is currently the
responsibility of the developer (sponsored or not), but the new
Feature-based Squid3 roadmap is a step forward to encourage early
discussion of planned features. With less than 10 active developers
working on Squid3, it is not difficult to inform others and get
feedback, provided the project is of interest to other developers.

> More detail on the roadmap would also be useful; potential sponsors
> need more information about what's involved in the changes, what the
> risks are, and how long it will take / how much it will cost.

I agree that if we start soliciting sponsorship for general-improvement
projects, we need to document and advertise them a lot better.

Currently, sponsors come with their specific needs and their designated
developer is responsible for providing estimates, including risk
assessment. If the project is approved, Squid3 developers should add it
to the roadmap, which triggers discussion and may affect the release
timeline. I think that works fairly well for sponsor-requested changes,
but improvement suggestions are very welcome.

> WRT responsible sponsoring: I'm willing to pay a (reasonable) premium
> to get the things that I pay to get into -2 into -3 as well,

Thank you, and I am sure many sponsors would do the same if the
trade-offs are explained to them correctly. Unfortunately, I have so far
failed to convince the most prolific Squid2 developer to accept this as
the default model and encourage its use.

> as long as -3 doesn't block -2 (which AFAICT it wouldn't).

Yes, for better or worse, Squid3 folks are currently against
artificially blocking Squid2 as a way of resolving the two-version mess.

> I'm not willing to do that in perpetuity, though.

Yes, I think there is consensus that the current situation is a waste of
resources (at least), and nobody wants it to continue. Unfortunately,
there is no consensus on how to get out of this mess.

Personally, I would love to see active sponsors together with active
developers agreeing on a pragmatic migration plan towards a single Squid
roadmap. I would be happy to facilitate such discussions. The active
developers alone have so far failed to reach such an agreement, but I
think direct Squid2 sponsor participation may help resolve the deadlock.

Thank you,

Alex.