Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Michael Puckett <Michael.Puckett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:38:01 -0800

I'll come back to one of Mark's earlier points then which seems to have
been lost. What will decide on adoption of -2 or -3 is the "killer app".
Developers roadmaps or sponsors notwithstanding. I think the point was
raised that neither roadmap was especially compelling or seemed to yet
contain that killer app. So momentum is on the side of -2. Users don't
care if the project is recoded in C++ to make the developers life
easier, the developers do, so that is not compelling in the slightest as
a reason to migrate. Which I know you already realize.

IMHO I still think that Mark was right that (at least one) killer app is
a true multi-threaded application that can take advantage of current HW
today. Now. I think that the current squid is exposed and probably
vulnerable if a competing project comes out that takes full advantage of
current HW and significantly outperforms todays non-scalable squid. If
that happens the entire -2, -3 argument is moot. Just my $0.02 though.

-mikep