Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:53:28 +0900

I believe that we have to look far past the current Squid-2 and Squid-3
versions and think something much .. well, "better".

My initial Squid-2 roadmap proposal (which is still in the Wiki) aimed
to take the codebase forward whilst beginning a modularisation project
(which is in there; just read between the lines and look at what
direction its heading in) with an eye towards pulling out bits of the
codebase and reusing it in a "next" release.

Squid-3 has done a little more modularisation work than Squid-2, but
there's still a long way to go in either codebase to properly disentangle
the dependencies and being reusing the interesting and useful parts
of the Squid codebase externally.

In parallel, I was planning on working on something which ties together
all the current best practices from HTTP software that, quite honestly,
smokes Squid in the performance arena. Varnish, Lighttpd, Nginx are three
examples which smoke squid in raw performance - but lack in features
and stability under given workloads.

Now that I have some support customers and I'm slowly working away at their
requirements, I'll hopefully start to have time to dedicate to Squid
features (to keep them happy) and work on the above in my (paid) spare time.

Adrian