Re: [squid-users] How Can I Stop Different Squid Purge Reponse Headers from 3.X than 2.6

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:59:41 +1300

Nicole wrote:
> Hello.
> It seems that perhaps with the introduction of Squid Ver 3.X that the replies
> provided while performing a quid purge command is different.
> How can I make squid3.X purge reponse replies the same as squid 2.X?
>
> As shown below, when performing a purge, the 3.2 server provides a different
> reponse than the 2.6 server. We use several scripts that are based around the
> CPAN squid::purge module. I'm not sure wether it or our scripts does not
> know how to handle this extra information and causes an error reply. For now
> however, it would be easier if I could simply modify squid rather than having
> to put in a request for script changes here.

Squid 3.2 is not even on the drawing boards yet.
Did you mean 3.0.STABLE2 ?

The problems you are seeing below is looks to be that in this case
HTTP/1.1 is further along in 3.x than your 2.6. The 3.x is adding some
headers for increased HTTP support in future.

The Squid Developers have no plans to decrease squids
standards-compliance before the protocols are expired.

The best thing for you is to fix your scripts to be able to cope with
modern web traffic. RFCs REQUIRE software to ignore headers they don't
understand.

The fast way is to build squid with HTTP-violations enabled and turn off
via in squid.conf.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/cfgman/via.html

PS: Be warned such action may cause other non-standard behaviour now or
in future that affects your web browsing.

> ------------------------
> $host = 1
> PURGE http://p0.domain.com/V21.jpg
> HTTP/1.0
> Accept */*
>

> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Server: squid/3.0.STABLE2
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:25:26 GMT
> Via: 1.0 p0.domain.com (squid/3.0.STABLE2)
> Connection: close
>

> ------------------------
> $host = 2
> PURGE http://p0.domain.com/V21.jpg
> HTTP/1.0
> Accept */*
>

> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Server: squid/2.6.STABLE14
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:25:26 GMT

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+