[squid-users] memory util high even while using squid without caching

From: Vijay Salian <vijay-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:55:43 +0530

Hi,

I am using squid as a transparent proxy in my network.
I do not need any caching to be done with Squid.

My configuration file is set as follows:

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
no_cache deny all
cache_dir null /tmp

The process works fine for low load, but under high load I see a surge in t=
he memory usage of Squid process. (it goes upto 200MB and beyond till it ge=
ts killed). Even if I stop the traffic ,this memory is not restored back to=
 the system. I even tried setting "memory_pools off". But this does not hel=
p to restore the memory.

Squid version: 2.5 STABLE 9

cachemgr :info output shows very high Storage Mem size:(about 64MB)

I checked the cachemgr :mem output. One parameter of 'mem_node' seems to be=
 consuming high memory. Since I am not using caching is there someway I can=
 avoid the usage of high memory in the system using some knob in the squid =
configuration?

Thanks,
Vijay