Re: [squid-users] memory util high even while using squid without caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:30:18 +1300

Vijay Salian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using squid as a transparent proxy in my network.
> I do not need any caching to be done with Squid.
>
> My configuration file is set as follows:
>
> acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> no_cache deny all
> cache_dir null /tmp
>
> The process works fine for low load, but under high load I see a surge in t=
> he memory usage of Squid process. (it goes upto 200MB and beyond till it ge=
> ts killed). Even if I stop the traffic ,this memory is not restored back to=
> the system. I even tried setting "memory_pools off". But this does not hel=
> p to restore the memory.
>
> Squid version: 2.5 STABLE 9

There is problem #1. Old version of squid.
We are better able to help if you encounter problems in supported
releases (2.6stable17+, 2.7 alphas, 3.0, 3.1 alphas)

How high is the high load? If its under 650 requests/sec then I'd say
upgrade to a 3.x if its more than that you will need 2.6.

> cachemgr :info output shows very high Storage Mem size:(about 64MB)
>
> I checked the cachemgr :mem output. One parameter of 'mem_node' seems to be=
> consuming high memory. Since I am not using caching is there someway I can=
> avoid the usage of high memory in the system using some knob in the squid =
> configuration?

All your mentioned knobs for tuning cache are for turning off
disk-cache. Squid still uses a RAM-cache for active objects.

Try this:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/cfgman/cache_mem.html

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+