[squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Raemaekers Mark <markraem@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:18:42 -0700 (PDT)

For me it is not clear why an accelerator mode WC is
faster then a Transparant Mode webcache.
This is how I understand both modes after googling for
about half a day on this topic :

WC IN TRANSPARANT MODE (WCTM), When an http request
hits the WCTM for the second time, then the WC will
send its cached contents back to the client.
Since the info is in the cache, the real web server
does not have to be contacted by the WCTM.

WC IN ACCELERATOR MODE (WCAM) : when an http request
hits the WCAM for the second time,the the WC will look
if this request is in its cache and send the cached
response of this request back to the client. Since the
info is in the cache, the real web server does not
have to be contaced by the WCAM.

In both cases (from the second request onwards) the
real web server is not contacted.
So, what exactly makes an accelerator mode WC go
faster then ?

Looking for last minute shopping deals?