Re: [squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:14:28 +1300

Raemaekers Mark wrote:
> For me it is not clear why an accelerator mode WC is
> faster then a Transparant Mode webcache.
> This is how I understand both modes after googling for
> about half a day on this topic :
>
> WC IN TRANSPARANT MODE (WCTM), When an http request
> hits the WCTM for the second time, then the WC will
> send its cached contents back to the client.
> Since the info is in the cache, the real web server
> does not have to be contacted by the WCTM.
>
> WC IN ACCELERATOR MODE (WCAM) : when an http request
> hits the WCAM for the second time,the the WC will look
> if this request is in its cache and send the cached
> response of this request back to the client. Since the
> info is in the cache, the real web server does not
> have to be contaced by the WCAM.
>
> In both cases (from the second request onwards) the
> real web server is not contacted.
> So, what exactly makes an accelerator mode WC go
> faster then ?

Nothing. Neither name accurately reflects the operation of the cache.
Whats the confusion?

proxy - software that sits between a web server and a web-client with
purpose of resource saving or improving web service to the clients.

intercepting proxy - software that performs as a proxy, but additionally
can handle traffic redirected to it by a FW without the web-clients
knowledge. Usually typed 'transparent' by those who confuse
client-hidden with totally-invisible.

transparent proxy - software that performs all duties of proxy and
additionally spoofs/hide its IP from both parties such that neither can
detect its existence.

reverse-proxy - software that performs many of the service duties of a
web-server. Redirecting all requests it can't handle to a separate
'true' web-server or more authoritative source.

accelerator - nickname for reverse-proxy.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+