Re: [squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:14:55 +0100

On 20.03.08 12:14, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> proxy - software that sits between a web server and a web-client with
> purpose of resource saving or improving web service to the clients.
>
> intercepting proxy - software that performs as a proxy, but additionally
> can handle traffic redirected to it by a FW without the web-clients
> knowledge. Usually typed 'transparent' by those who confuse
> client-hidden with totally-invisible.
>
> transparent proxy - software that performs all duties of proxy and
> additionally spoofs/hide its IP from both parties such that neither can
> detect its existence.

many people assume "transparent" proxy the same as "intercepting", maybe
often with the meaning of "not explicitly configured proxy".

the HTTP defines "transparent" proxy as any proxy that does not modify the
deta. Please, don't create new definition of transparecy in proxying.

Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete